Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Figs from Sicily!

Some of Mauro's Sicilian family members are visiting and they brought a ton of food! When Mauro brought me these figs yesterday, I immediately started thinking about how to create a dessert with them. Funny story: Mauro told me that when he packed the figs up for me, his sister said to him: "You can tell Katrin that she can just eat these as they are, there's no need to put them into the oven." :-)


Of course, I know that. It didn't keep me from baking them anyway! And what came out is one of the most delicious desserts I've eaten in a long time! Of course, these Sicilian figs made all the difference, they tasted heavenly.

The original recipe can be found here. I changed certain things however.

Preheat oven to 220°C.

for 3 figs I used:

a few almonds, a few pistachios, finely minced
1.5 tablespoons of brown sugar
a dash of vanilla sugar
2 tablespoons of cream
1 tablespoon of water

Just mix this together. Grease an oven-safe pan with a little butter, cut the figs up crosswise so that they still hold together at the bottom and place them into the pan. Spread the nut-mixture over them with a spoon and bake for about 15 minutes. Serve warm.

I think, this is a simple and light, yet noble dessert. A scoop of vanilla ice cream would go nicely with that... I can't stop thinking about it anymore... I want a fig tree!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails