Monday, March 14, 2011

Brownies... what else?!

Hello friends and cakelovers! I'm back for good ;-) or so I hope, but my wrist is holding up well and although I will be busy studying for my finals in fall, I definitely have more time to bake and cook for now!

So... let's get serious... these really are decadent... and delicious...




Recipe:
(from Tartine... a lovely book by the way!)

170g butter
455g bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
130g all-purpose flour
5 large eggs
395g brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter a 23x33cm baking tin or line with parchment paper (I used two brownie pans each 18x23cm)

Melt butter in a small pan over low heat. Then, take away from the heat and add the chocolate. (I had to put the pan back over low heat to fully melt it.) Set aside to cool.

Sift flour into a small mixing bowl and set aside. Combine eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract in another bowl. With a mixer, beat on high speed until you got a thick mixture which is pale in color (4 - 5 minutes). With a rubber spatula, fold in the cooled chocolate. Then, add the flour and fold it in quickly but gently with the rubber spatula.

Pour your batter into the prepared pan and smooth it a bit with the spatula. Bake until the top looks slightly cracked and it feels soft to the touch. This takes about 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.

Cut them into squares. They will keep for up to one week in an airtight container in a cool place.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails