Friday, March 02, 2012

Honey and Peanut Butter Booster Bars

If I see a recipe entitled like this, you can be sure it makes the "to-bake-list"! How can the peanut butter addict resist such a thing called peanut butter booster bars?! Last weekend was the perfect occasion to make these. Since the flu had knocked me out last week, I figured, I needed something to give me energy for my new job. And indeed, they got me through the first busy days in my new office. These granola bars are quick and easy to make and keep for up to a week. I decided that I'm going to make such bars more often.




Recipe
(from: here)

125g unsalted butter
150g brown sugar
125g crunchy peanut butter
75g honey, plus a little more to finish
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
200g rolled oats (not jumbo)
150g dried fruit, such as raisins, sultanas and chopped apricots, prunes or dates, either singly or in combination
150g mixed seeds, such as pumpkin, sunflower, poppy, linseed and sesame

Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease and line a baking tin, about 20cm square.

Put the butter, sugar, peanut butter, honey and grated citrus zests in a deep saucepan over a very low heat. Leave until melted, stirring from time to time.

Stir the oats, dried fruit and three-quarters of the seeds into the melted butter mixture until thoroughly combined. Spread the mixture out evenly in the baking tin, smoothing the top as you go.

Scatter the remaining seeds over the surface and trickle with a little more honey. Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden in the centre and golden-brown at the edges.

Leave to cool completely in the tin (be patient – it cuts much better when cold), then turn out and cut into squares with a sharp knife. These bars will keep for 5-7 days in an airtight tin.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails